We recommend considering and discussing these “nuts and bolts” questions with your family, your legal/financial advisors, or INHF as you begin your decision-making:
- Do I want to continue to own or use the land during my lifetime?
- Do I want financial compensation for my land?
- Are potential tax savings important to me?
- Do I want to protect all of my property, or just part of it?
- Do I want the land to be open to the public as a park or wildlife area?
- Who might be best suited to oversee the long-term protection and care of my land: an individual, a nonprofit conservation group or a public conservation agency?
Your answers to these questions can help to direct you to land protection techniques and partners that best fit your situation and your land.